Aug. 21, 2018 – Florida Magazine Association, Inc. (FMA), the largest state magazine association in the U.S., awarded Broward County-based Lifestyle Media Group with 12 honors at its Aug. 10 annual Charlie Awards at Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek in Orlando. Lifestyle magazine, part of Lifestyle Media Group’s portfolio of publications, earned 10 first-place honors, including the coveted “Best Overall Magazine” award in its circulation bracket (20,000 and under). Lifestyle magazine took home more first-place awards than any other publication in Florida.
“We at Lifestyle Media Group are incredibly honored to be the recipient of so many awards from FMA,” said Gary Press, chairman and CEO of Lifestyle Media Group. “As the largest and fastest-growing magazine publisher in South Florida, with 14 titles and a combined readership of nearly 1 million readers, we are pleased to be recognized by this organization which promotes excellence and the standing of magazines in the Florida publishing industry.”
The annual Charlie Awards competition recognizes publishing excellence involving magazines produced in the state of Florida. Nearly 500 entries were submitted to this year’s competition that recognizes publishers, writers, editors, artists, photographers, printers, marketers and others as the best among their peers in scores of categories.
Overall, the magazines of Lifestyle Media Group collected 12 FMA honors in a range of categories, including writing, graphic design, illustration and photography. Lifestylemagazine earned 11 of those awards, and South Florida Business & Wealth magazine took home one.
Among the first-place honors bestowed on Lifestyle magazine were awards for “Best Overall Writing” and “Best Special Theme Issue” for its April 2018 edition dedicated to the Parkland community in the aftermath of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Lifestyle Media Group’s FMA awards* are as follows:
Charlie Awards (first place)
- Best Overall Magazine: Lifestyle magazine
- Best Overall Writing: Lifestyle magazine
- Best Special Theme Issue: Lifestyle magazine; April 2018 issue dedicated to the Parkland community
- Best Feature: Lifestyle magazine; “Truth to Power,” by Kevin Kaminski, July 2017
- Best In-Depth Reporting: Lifestyle magazine; “Predators at the Gate,” by Lisa Lucasand Andrea Richard, Feb. 2018
- Best Column: Lifestyle magazine; “Editor’s Letter,” by Kevin Kaminski
- Best Traditional Illustration: Lifestyle magazine; “Predators at the Gate,” by Frank Papandrea, Feb. 2018
- Best Use of Photography: Lifestyle magazine; “Stories from Parkland,” by Melanie Smit, Jeff Vespa, Ian Witlen and Eduardo Schneider, April 2018
- Best Single Feature Image: Lifestyle magazine; Emma Gonzalez photo, by Jeff Vespa, April 2018
- Best Design—Department: Lifestyle magazine; “The Dish,” by Evelyn Suarez and Melanie Smit
- Best Feature: “The Gift Is You,” by Andrea Richard, Oct. 2017, South Florida Business & Wealth magazine
* All Lifestyle awards are in the consumer, 20,000-under circulation category; South Florida Business & Wealth award is in the trade/technical category.